At FPCLR we pride ourselves on our musically rich worship service. Our choir, organ, and music selections play an important role each Sunday, as we make a joyful noise. Built in 2004, FPC’s impressive Nichols & Simpson organ is the center of our music and praise during worship. Featuring 3 manuals, 47 stops, and 61 ranks, our organ delivers impressive and quality sound for our church community. Recitals for the Central Arkansas Chapter of the American Guild of Organists are held often at FPC, allowing for our organ to be used by musicians from all around the world including Bryan Anderson, Thomas Ospital, Alcee Chriss III, and many others.
FPCLR has been blessed with a facility that not only facilitates beautiful music, but serene and beautiful windows which offer scenes from the life of Christ.
The work of the windows was directed by George Luther of Payne Studios from Patterson, New Jersey. The windows were dedicated in 1928. Thousands of bits of glass, from 18-inch squares to tiny medallions, are featured throughout the sanctuary. The designs are reproduced from thirteenth and fourteenth century windows in the cathedrals of Europe. They are authentic in drawing and admirably adapted to the Gothic style.
Among the more impressive windows in our sanctuary, the Te Deum window located in the back balcony above the narthex offers an impressive scene. A massive grouping has been used in this window with 32 figures in the five tall panels. On a scroll at the base is the quotation from the “e Deum.
“The glorious company of the Apostles praise thee.” Above this inscription are the figures of the apostles and the prophets. Filling the upper panels are the angelic host.
Left Panel: Magi
Central Panel: Madonna and Child
Right Panel: Shepherds
Upper Section: St. Michael (left); angel Gabriel (right)
In two groups of three windows, the left and right sides depict the life of Christ. The left group depicts spiritual crises including the baptism, Christ before Pontius Pilate and the resurrection. The group on the right typifies the Savior in His relation to man. These windows include Christ calling Peter and Andrew, Christ in the home and Christ healing the sick.
In the left and right balconies sit two clerestory windows of conventional design with tracery tops. These windows show the full beauty of the antique glass. A deep, clear blue predominates with jeweled tones in crimson, amethyst, jade and topaz.
There are twelve small windows in the church and vestibule, and these are filled with panels bearing symbols of Christianity. These include: the cross, crown, lamp, chalice, harp, Ten Commandments, open Bible, sheaf of wheat, anchor, fleur-de-lis, dove and torch.
The work of the windows was directed by George Luther of Payne Studios from Patterson, New Jersey. The windows were dedicated in 1928.
Thousands of bits of glass, from 18-inch squares to tiny medallions, hardly an inch in diameter are assembled and fitted to the dimensions of the frame. The window frames are Gothic with ornamental top, and minute measurements were necessary to insure accurately fitting windows. The Payne Studios sent a special representative to take measurements. Each segment of glass was cut to fit, cemented with wax to its place and the color applied by hand. In making the so-called antiqued glass, the color is fired into the glass, which is heated to the melting point and then slowly cooled in the kiln. The result is a varying tint and hue which gives the peculiar jewel-like quality to the finished product. The designs are reproduced from thirteenth and fourteenth century windows in the cathedrals of Europe. They are authentic in drawing and admirably adapted to the Gothic style.The memorial windows of First Presbyterian Church are beautiful reproductions of thirteenth century designs. In antique glass, rich in coloring and intricate in design, they are a beautiful memorial to former members of the church.